Smart Closure is a system that enables safer and more efficient road closures by:
- Warning the workforce instantly in case of a forced entry at manned works access points
- Alerting the workforce in case access is needed by authorised non-works vehicles such as emergency vehicles, gritters and escorted vehicles
- Enabling full closure points to be alarmed and potentially unmanned
- Allowing remote two-way communication with residents and road users requiring access to site
Smart Closure uses portable site alarms, customer information terminals and beacons equipped with technology that allows them to connect to the device management platform. This platform incorporates an intelligent rules engine, which tells the equipment how to behave under different circumstances, such as a when a road closure is being breached.
There are many benefits to using Smart Closure:
- Increased safety. Workers are instantly alerted to an incursion, emergency, or escorted non- works vehicle accessing the site. They can get to a place of safety before the vehicle reaches their working area. In addition, in unmanned areas, it reduces the potential for confrontation with the public and the risk of injury as a result
- Enhanced communication. Making it easier to communicate with road users reduces the risk of incursions, as help and advice can be provided remotely.
- Better resource management. The ability to provide unmanned yet remotely monitored closures reduces the overall labour requirements for temporary traffic management, especially on large closures, providing a cost benefit.
- Improved decision-making. Automated incursion logging enables the creation of hotspot maps, allowing the data to be analysed. As a result, future TM designs can be adapted to suit real-life site conditions.
- Easy deployment. All equipment is simple to deploy, use and interact with. Our smart assets know how to operate once they enter a geozone, meaning that a worker can pick any device of the right type and it will work as required on site
"Intellicone enabled road closures provide a great deterrent to people attempting to enter the closure” - Kier Highways
"In a single month, we reduced incursions by 50%. This proves that by introducing Safelane, we were moving in the right direction to combat errant vehicles” - ChevronTM